Thursday, September 15, 2016

Interview with Mariana Castro

Mariana Castro is the head of marketing for Greenwich Polo Club. During her tenure she has increased average attendance over 50%. We had the pleasure of sitting down with her to learn more about the game, and herself.


Q: Your background hasn't always been in polo. Tell us about what you did prior to joining the Greenwich Polo Club?

A: I worked with ultra-­luxury hospitality, developing luxury properties, turning them into vacation homes, with revolutionary holistic spa therapies and 7 star services. We focused on personalized service helping our guests find new ways to let go, to enjoy life, relationships and mostly learn how to live a healthier more fulfilling life. We used environmentally safe practices in locations with some of the largest solar powered properties in the world. I also had the chance to remodel and design the properties and spa rooms, we had many amazing projects. It was through my clients (owners) that I discovered polo, I took Mrs. Klein to the only place I knew had horses. I got to stick & ball (hit the ball around while riding a horse) when she took riding lessons.

Q: What brought you from Hawaii to here? What made you want to work with the club?

A: After working on these developments, I started helping a friend with his polo media company he was trying to develop. I started with social media and ended up creating a print magazine, an magazine, a nonprofit, great video and photo productions as well as incredible polo events. My friend Chris Dawson was the visionary, I organized the logistics and planned the details to make his ideas a reality. I had an amazing editorial partner Brian Berusch who curated the content, so it was a great team. We got a lot done with a very small crew. While working on this project I moved to NYC with my partner who was a horse trainer, we met playing polo. We missed the outdoors so we moved a bit North to Westchester. A month later, I got a call from Greenwich Polo Club, they were looking for someone with my profile to help them move the club forward, especially because they were partnering with USPA to broadcast the East Coast Open. I didn’t think twice, although I am still in regular contact with my HI crew. Greenwich is a gem and I saw many ways I could contribute to highlight the venue.



Q: Do you play yourself? What is it that makes people so attracted to the sport?

A: Yes, I do when I can. I went to Argentina in February and practiced a bit more. During the season, there are no horses around for my beginner level as in Greenwich we focus on professional polo. People get hooked on the adrenaline, I think it is one of the only activities where you are so mentally and physically engaged that it takes your mind away from everything. It gives your mind a break and a pump to your heart. You can always get better, the difference between a beginner and a great player is so big that you have a lifetime of entertainment.

Q: Please tell me about White Birch Farm....

A: White Birch Farm was the only thing I knew about Greenwich Polo Club before I moved East. White Birch Farm is the ultimate polo farm, hosting the longest standing and most successful polo team in American history. I watched a documentary called The Polo Kid where a polo player is groomed by White Birch, they take him to Argentina to play in the highest level. White Birch is about the highest level of polo and horsemanship. The fact that they are actively bringing up new kids, giving them the opportunity to learn from the best, that is just music to my ears.
Q: How many players are on the White Birch team, where are most of them from?

A: There are 4 players to a team, right now it’s Santino Magrini, Hilario Ulloa, Mariano Aguerre and Peter Brant. It depends on the tournament level they play, White Birch is one of the most consistent with players, this team is exactly the team that played at Greenwich last years’ three tournaments as well as for 2016. For a 26­ goal tournament (in Florida) they have to change a player to make up for the handicap. I’d say 70% of the high goal players are from Argentina, but don’t take my word for that. There are some great American and Argentine players who have developed their careers in the US and now have children playing competitively. At Greenwich Polo Club, we have some great Australian, Brazilian, Canadian and Mexican players, as well.


Article By: Kayla Scinto

No comments:

Post a Comment